Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Thank You Note

watercolor, 4 x 6"
My family is currently experiencing some very serious health concerns with my dad.  It has been a very scary, unsure time in our lives and many people have come together to show their support, which has been amazing.  One of my co-workers has been especially kind to me and he and his wife have been extremely supportive.  To show my thanks, I painted this small thank you card for him. 

After about a month and a half of not producing anything, getting back into being creative was (and is) incredibly hard.  Attempting to get myself to remember how to paint is like riding a bike, you still remember how, but the bike is totally wobbly.  I think I painted this simple image about four or five times before it became something that I was happy with.  Aaron gave me advice that I had given him before "you can't expect everything to be a masterpiece without practicing first".  A hard pill to swallow coming from my own mouth!

But it was true and he was right.  I kept at it.  Slowly, that creative spirit came back, after a long while of being pushed out of the way while my family and I dealt with more important, urgent matters.  Those issues are still with us, but this experience has made me more aware of what is truly important in my life.  Being creative keeps me sane and it's good to know that while it might fade away when I have bigger things happening in my life, eventually it comes back around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment