Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Engaged!


Surprise!  Aaron and I are engaged!  Last weekend we shared the news with our families and then with Facebook.  People have been super excited, which is great!  And we've also got a few "what took you guys so long!?" in there too.

Aaron and I have been dating for 13 years.  We had been talking about getting married for a while and so our engagement was a very mutual thing.  After taking a jewellery class during my collage years at OCAD, I have always wanted to design my own ring.  The perfect opportunity came up when we headed to Aaron's childhood home in Sault Ste. Marie and met with a family friend who is a jeweler.  We talked to him about my ideas, gave him some rings that we wanted to use as source material and he created the most perfect ring I have ever owned.  It is exactly what I wanted.


We decided to part with a few rings we already owned for the source material.  Part of this was to help with cost, but we also really wanted to re-use materials that meant something to us.  For the white gold band we used a school ring that Aaron had from our high school, but he didn't wear anymore.  My mom had given me a ring that belonged to her years ago, a yellow gold eternity band with six small diamonds in it.  We used the diamonds from that band in my new one, where they now grace the sides of a lovely dark blue sapphire (TARDIS colored, of course).  The sapphire is the only thing that didn't previously belong to us (something blue, something new?).  We were also lucky enough to have the wedding band made with the extra white gold, so that is pretty awesome too.

Aaron and I have really considered ourselves married for years, just without the papers to prove it.  This is just the next step in our journey together.  He's the only person I'd ever want to take it with. 

(P.S. my sister bought me those awesome set of skeleton keys! Thanks Laur!)

No comments:

Post a Comment